
So every time I do something special for Tait, I think of all the gifts that Christ has given me. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17
And just when I worry that God's gifts might be something uncomfortable, or not something I would choose, I'm reminded to trust his Abba-Papa sovereignty: If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:11
Yeah, this is getting wordy, but I just finished reading a good book, and the last chapter summarized perfectly what God has been showing me through giving Tait gifts.
"God gives us something amazing when He gives us life, and I want to live with gratitude. I want to live in a way that shows how much I appreciate the gift. If life were a sweater, I would wear it every day. I wouldn't save it or keep it for a special occasion. I would find every opportunity to wear that sweater, and I'd wear it proudly, shamelessly, for days on end. . . It's rebellious, in a way, to choose joy . . . It's much easier and much more common to be miserable . . . and I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift, who will use it up and wring it out and drag it around like a favorite sweater." -Shauna Niequist, Cold Tangerines
I guess this post is more accountability than anything. Those who know us well, don't allow us to get away with ingratitude ( :
So, how do you celebrate life and "wear out that favorite sweater"?
6 comments:
making 84 gallons of cider had to be one of the funnest things i've done all year.....which might be borderline pathetic
Love that quote Mandy! (And the pic of Tait). :)
hehehe, Jerms, I thought 84 gallons of cider was an incredible amount. my favorite part of the story was Mom trying to post about it on Nat's facebook acct, then her post getting vetoed by Nat & Ti because they thought "Jeremy Appleseed" was too corny! haha!
Hey Mandy...fun to find your blog from your comment on mine...
Like the Shauna N. quote. I think I'll read Cold Tangerines after Bittersweet and kind of go backwards.
Love the post, Mandy! (Can you tell I'm getting caught up on your little fam??) Anyway, reminds me of one of my favorite C.S. Lewis quotes: We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us. We are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be.
Allright, Mr. Davebarry, (is this dave or adam or neither?), you've inspired me to change the chalkboard quote in the kitchen & put up some CS Lewis. I love that quote. What is it from? Sounds like a "Grief Observed" thing?
Post a Comment